If you were asked to name a van we'd hedge our bets that one of the first to come to mind would be the Ford Transit.
In the beginning
Launched in 1965 The Ford Transit is still one of the best commercial vehicles around - in fact, few cars have gained such an iconic status in Britain as the mighty Transit!
The Transit was originally co-developed by then-rivals Ford of Britain and Ford of Germany, a relationship which became the prototype for today’s Ford of Europe. It entered production at Ford’s Langley facility, which previously built the Spitfire. Later, it moved to the former Hawker Hurricane site in Southampton. With a heritage like that, the legend of the Transit started on a strong footing.
Some experts say that, "the Transit did for vans what the Mini did for cars." Replacing narrow, slow and poorly packaged vans with a spacious, fast and good to drive vehicle.
Choice...and then some!
The latest Transit (Custom) is offered with short- and long-wheelbases, and as a double cab, panel van and minibus – more than 5000 theoretical configurations are available.
The "full-fat" Transit offers even more choice, and the smaller Transit Connect and Transit Courier vans have given Ford customers a promise of a Transit to meet every need.
The Ford Transit is the third biggest-selling Ford in the UK, behind the Fiest and the Focus. Over 88,000 units were sold in 2015 and that's equal to a 20.6% share of the UK's commercial vehicle market.
Do you remember the Ford advertising campaign in the late 1990s suggesting that the Transit was the backbone of Britain? We think they just might have hit the nail on the head!
- The Ford Transit was the most frequently stolen car in the UK in 2015!
- In 1972, the Metropolitan police dubbed the Transit 'Britain’s most wanted van'. It said: “Ford Transits are used in 95% of bank raids.
- The UK launch of the Transit in October 1965 saw the cheapest Transit with a price tag of £542 and the most expensive was £997.
- 48 students from Barking College near London set a record by squeezing themselves into a Transit minibus in 1965.
- Transit’s performance, toughness and reliability has always made it a rm favourite with the emergency services, from police vans and am- bulances to re rescue vehicles and breakdown vans.
- In 2014, the Transit went on sale in North America for the very rst time, replacing Ford’s popular E-Series model.
Transit Van Leasing Deals from Vans4Lease
We have some excellent van leasing deals on the Ford Transit currently - just take a look at our Special Offers by clicking here to see if there's a Transit here with your name on it.
Perhaps this good looking Ford Transit Connect for under £154 a month?